Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Rebel without a cause

Have you ever been in the situation where you get angry with someone only to realise that it was not the person's fault in the first place? How do you deal with it? I had the experience yesterday when I go home and see that my wife's car (which was parked outside the house) was not locked and the rear doors was wide open. This was not the first time it happened. Being a drama 'queen', I start scolding everybody in the house (my wife is not spared) on the need to be careful bla..bla..bla.. and I continue giving long lectures and making a big scene out of it. I can see the feeling of guilt written all over my wife's and my son's face. (prior to that there was a case of break-ins at my neighbour's house). Throughout the evening, the situation in the house was pretty intense. Suddenly I am experiencing a rare moment of silence in the house.

During Maghrib time, I went to take my wudhu' in the bathroom only to find out there's water overflowing all over the bathroom floor. Still bengang from the earlier incident, I start scolding one of my sons (who used the bathroom before me) for not turning off the tap after using it. My son initially denied the accusation and say that he did turned off the tap, which further aggravated my anger. During the moment, I was making a snap judgment that not only he had done wrong, he lied about it. As I was about to give him another series of scolding (by the way, he was also the guilty party in the earlier incident), I found out the overflowing water was not from the tap but actually from the washing machine which was running at that time.

I was speechless. Then my son broke the brief silence by laughing heartily. Of course, I did join in after realising how funny the whole situation is (and also to mask my embarrassment) .

Looking back, I learn a very valuable lesson yesterday. I was harbouring over an incident, 'preying' over my son for a mistake that he did and not willing to let go. Yet, my son was quick to forgive me for the mistake that I do to him. Maybe, I should learn to take things easy a little bit. Oh, did I mention that my son was just six years old?


No comments: