Friday, April 11, 2008

Excuse me, Madamme Luke!

Every now and then I always question my level of masculinity. In most circumstances, I displayed a lot of attribute of a woman. I have a lot of these weird womanly tendencies. I am a control freak, I can be a drama queen and make big scene out of small things, I like to watch beauty pageant (the best thing is I watch it with my wife), I like designing clothes for my wife, I take special interest in the make-up that my wife is using, as well as the clothes that she is wearing. I even controlled the kind of cloth materials that my wife is buying (but of course most of the time, I am the one buying for her). So far she didn't complain. I even help in the styling of my wife's tudung. (Good thing I didn't grow up to be a tranny!)

Maybe my 'feminine' tendency have a lot to do with my genetic make-up and the surrounding that I was brought up with. You see, I was born into a family dominated by women. And it does not help much that I am the youngest and being the only boy in the family. To make it worse, I came from Minangkabau tribe, a clan which is famously known for its adat perpatih, which gives superior treatment to women. My father was an army sergeant and most of the time he was not home. My late mom run and managed the house, with my three elder sisters acting as co-generals. It's like having one biological mother and three surrogate mothers. Most of my early interactions are with these women around me. My mom and sisters have very strong characters. They are very independent, which translate into their respective success nowadays. I admire all my sisters for their qualities.

I am very close to my sisters, so much so that we even do 'girl-ly' stuff together such as 'karaoke'ing and shopping. Talk about shopping. I looooveeeee shopping. I have special craving of buying clothes and groceries - especially pyjamas for my kids and buying raw fish. Every time when I go to market, my wife would have to restrain me from buying too many fish. Don't ask me where I got this craving from. I can explain for the fish craving since I know my late mom and my sisters like to buy fish. But for the pyjamas....I myself was not sure.

My first sister is a manager in an oil company. Being the most respected, she is like the pillar of the family always playing leading role in all major decision making in the family. She is quite temperamental and always ready to combat any verbal attack on her or her family. Boy, when she is provoked, she can rip you apart with her verbal attack. In fact, non of my relatives dare to defy her. Amidst all that, she is very kind-hearted and have soft-spot for people who need help.

My second sister is more mild mannered. She is a first-class honours degree unemployed, who is very contended of playing homemaker. She is like the one who glued the family together. She will always play the counsellor's role. In fact, all of us found it easier to confide in her our problems. But do not be fooled by her appearance. Once she is angry, she can totally shun you out of her life FOREVER!!

My third sister lives abroad and in education field. She lives abroad since 1985 and have not been permanently back since she got married to foreigner. She is a bit tom-boyish, yet the most pious in the family.

I guess my high regards for them have great influence in my character. In fact, I enjoy different types of relationship with my sisters. I would go to my first sister for advice relating to serious stuff. My second sister have this great tendency for spoiling me. If I want adventure, I would normally go to my third sister. The common thing that all my sisters have is their tendency to spoil me. They like to buy stuffs for me and cook my favourite dishes (this an obsession that all of them have which was duly inherited from my late mom!). I have to say, I am like being 'manja' by all of them. They are very protective of me.

I am truly grateful for being born in the family and I am truly grateful for the sisters I have. I love them very much. Thank you sis for being there for me. So what, if I have feminine tendencies! Remember this, if you dare make fun of me, I shall call upon my first sister to kick your ass. After all, I am still their most beloved kid brother :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good dispatch and this fill someone in on helped me alot in my college assignement. Thank you seeking your information.