Saturday, May 17, 2008

Mixed Feelings

Yesterday, my eldest son Luke was having a whole day affair at his school. The school was celebrating Teacher's Day in the morning and in the afternoon, he had to attend a special programme 'Kem Bestari Solat' a programme carried out by the school to teach the pupils the proper way of prayers. I know Luke was fond of these things. Even at a tender age of 9, he has already displayed traces of leadership quality. He likes to participate in co-curricular activities as well as any initiatives carried out by the school. As far as I can remember, he was always elected either to be the class monitor or assistant monitor ever since he was in kindergarten. I am very proud of him because of the independence and high level of accountability displayed by him. In fact, I could see the passion he had whenever he is involved in these types of activities. I couldn't remember whether I was as active as he is when I was at his age.

However, I was a bit upset with him yesterday. Apparently, during the mid-break between his morning session and the afternoon session, he had left school and join his friends to perform Friday prayers at a nearby Mosque. In a way, I felt proud because he makes the decision and do what he wanted to do. I always like to encourage my kids to make decisions and do what they feel is right. However, in doing this, he has ignored my caution to him about going to places where there is no adult supervision. With the kind of things happening to kids these days, there is no telling what can happen. I did give him the scolding afterwards but deep down, I was a little proud of him. My son is becoming a man at such an early age. But then again, I cannot ignore the fact that things could happen the other way round. In the end, how do you balance between instilling independence in your kids but at the same time protecting them from the dangers surrounding them. I have seen the two extreme methods that my sisters adopt in handling their kids. One is a bit laid-back and in the end the child grew up to be undisciplined whilst the other is too protective that they become too needy and dependent on my sister.

At the moment, I don't know where I stand. Only time will tell.

Luke in one of his school's activities

No comments: